(Photography by Sandra Franco, Edinburgh)
We are getting better at juggling times, places, teachers, and coordination with other events. However sometimes we need to make quick changes! For more info and updates, please check our news page.
Our next jams and classes take place on:
- Saturday, September 28, 15:00 – 19:00 – Class and Jam in Leith Church Hall. The times for both class and jam are shifted by one hour because of the Iraya workshop before. New price for the class is £ 8, or £ 5 concession.
In future, if you come to the jam, please wait until 15:45 to enter the hall.
- 15-17 Nov 2019: SCOTLAND JAM: A small festival with lots of Jams plus Underscore, Contemplative Dance Practice and classes by people living in Scotland.organised by Penny Chivas and Teresa Hunyadi
Times: Usually, Saturdays (with a few exceptions where we shift to Sunday). Important: Beginning with August 3, 2019, we have changed the regular schedule to 14:00 – 18:00 so that we have a more time for classes.
Beginning from August 3, we start the class at 14:00, and the jam at 16:00. Please come in time, because it is important to do warm-up and to know about potential injuries and physical limitations of other participants. If you come to the jam, please do not enter before 15:45, so that the class is undisturbed.
We need to leave the building at 18:00.
In many of the jams we are accompanied by musicians doing lovely live improvisations – if you are musician and want to participate, please contact Tamsin via the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to take part, in brief
The class are on a drop-in basis (no registration needed) and are usually held by a qualified contact teacher or dance teacher. If you are completely new to Contact Improvisation, you are strongly encouraged to start with a few classes (apart from our classes, you find a selection of classes by professional dance teachers under “other classes in Edinburgh”).
The jams start with an introduction (sometimes done by contact teachers, sometimes by community members) and are open to all levels of experience. As an explanation, we are community-run group organised by volunteers, so it’s possible that on some occasions there may not be an experienced dancer or teacher present who is able to lead the warm-up into the jam. In this event, you’ll be expected to warm yourself up in whatever way feels appropriate to ensure that you settle yourself into the space, check out what you need for that day, and gradually find your way into contact with others.
Please show up on time for both class and jams – this allows to focus and do warm-up which is important to prevent injuries. It is also necessary to have time to mention (and listen) to physical limitations some people may have, to make participation safe and comfortable for everyone. We ask you not to wear chains or large earrings that could become entangled and cause injuries. Bring comfortable clothes and a plastic water bottle. We dance without shoes; during the winter, socks, wrist-warmers and a jumper are useful during the warm-up phase. Non-skid socks are great to bring! More information for beginners here.
Please add your name to the participant list, and put your contribution to cover expenses in the box before you leave. The participant list makes it much easier to plan expenses.
The jams take place in the community hall of
North Leith Church, 1A Madeira Place,
The hall is at the right side of the church, a bit behind the iron gate. Here is how it looks (Streetview Link)
Contributions / fees
We are a non-profit group which relies on voluntary work. The bulk of the fees is needed to cover the room costs. If you are short on money, we have a concession price. If you would like to make a small donation, please do so!
Class: £ 8 / £ 5 concessions (new price beginning from August, for longer classes)
Jam: £5 / £3 concessions
New! Jams in Edinburgh
A small festival with lots of Jams plus Underscore, Contemplative Dance
Practice and classes by people living in Scotland.
A time to share and gather.
hosted by Contact Improvisation Edinburgh, organised by Penny Chivas and Teresa Hunyadi
Other Classes in Edinburgh
- Contact Improvisation and Instant Composition classes with Monica de Ioanni, Friday 20:00 -21:30 at DanceBase, Grassmarket, Edinburgh – as drop-in class or continuous booking at DanceBase
Apart from their unique style, these classes are suitable for people new to contact imprivisation and for learning and practising basic techniques.
- From January 2019, Somatic Movement classes by Monica de Ioanni, bi-weekly on Thursdays 18:30, Salisbury Centre, 2 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, EH16 5AB 6.30pm – 8.30pm — book by email to email@example.com
- Out of Class – dance improvisation with music at Dance Base / Grassmarket, led by Christine Devaney, takes place about monthly (usually Sundays at 11 am). More Info Here
Workshops in Edinburgh
- Debbie Allen gives classes in Body Mind Centering. Web page: https://www.facebook.com/embodimentbmc/, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact-related Performances in Edinburgh
- That’s not us, but check out Christine Devaney’s group at www.curious-seed.com
More Edinburgh Resources
- eMail List: To make it easier to inform interested people about events and keep in touch, we are using an an email list. If you want to be included, just leave your email address in our participant list we use for accounting at the jams, or send a message to email@example.com.
- Facebook: Edinburgh Contact dancers maintain a FB group with name “Contact Improvisation Edinburgh”. We work together to keep this page up-to-date and have the jam calendar here.
Jams, Classes and Workshops in Glasgow
TheGlasgowJam web site, with regular contact classes and jams in Glasgow: http://theglasgowjam.blogspot.co.uk/
All Edinburgh (and a few regional) events sorted by date
Note: Exact times and places may change, as we try to add classes – please check for updates a few days before. Please check for changes beginning with August 3.
Disclaimer: We do proofread but mistakes happen. If you are attending events organized by DanceBase or @TGJ, please make sure to always check the links for updated information on times, venues, fees, intended audience, and guidelines for participation.
|Saturday, September 28||15:00-16:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, September 28||17:00-17:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, October 12||14:00-15:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, October 12||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Sunday, October 13||11:00 – 13:30||Edinburgh||Out Of Class, with Christine Devaney||Dancebase, Grassmarket
|Sunday, October 27||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, November 9||14:00-15:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, November 9||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|15-17 November (Friday to Sunday)||Edinburgh||Scotland Jam organised by Teresa Hunyadi and Penny Chivas||more info coming soon!|
|Sunday, November 17||11:00 – 13:30||Edinburgh||Out Of Class, with Christine Devaney||Dancebase, Grassmarket
|Saturday, November 23||14:00-15:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, November 23||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, December 7||14:00-15:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, December 7||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, December 21||14:00-15:45||Edinburgh||Class||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
|Saturday, December 21||16:00-18:00||Edinburgh||Jam||North Leith Church Hall, 1A Madeira Place|
GDPR Notice: The authors of the Edinburgh Contact Jam page do not collect any private information from users of the web site, except that we do register email addresses if, and only if, you want to be informed on future events via the mailing list. Further, the owner of the WordPress web site does collect some information from site visitors, such as IP address, browser type, and location information. This is their GDPR notice.